Marilyn Monroe by George Barris, 1962. These were the last professional photographs taken of Marilyn before her death in August 1962.
" She was a person of passion and great love, even when things were not going well for her. Sometimes I felt a sadness watching her, a beautiful girl who had achieved the impossible, a dream of all beautiful, talented girls - fame as an actress on the silver screen. I could see a sadness in her eyes; she had learned to smile, laugh, and clown, even though her heart was breaking. ”
- George Barris in “Marilyn: Her Life In Her Own Words”
March 3rd 1956: Marilyn Monroe at a press party for her return to Hollywood.
“ Dean Martin became involved in Something’s Got to Give after Marilyn picked him; in some reports he had invested a personal stake in the production.
Dean gallantly stood up for his friend after she was dismissed by 20th Century Fox. The studio hired Lee Remick as Marilyn’s replacement, but Dean invoked a clause in his contract allowing him approval of his opposite number, and informed the studio that he would not work with anyone except Marilyn on this picture.
Fox sued Martin, Martin sued Fox, and then the picture was put back on track, to no small degree because of Dean’s intransigence and support for Marilyn. ”
- extract from The Marilyn Encyclopedia by Adam Victor
“ She had such magnetism that if 15 men were in a room with her, each man would be convinced he was the one she’d be waiting for after the others left ”
- Roy Craft, publicist.
River Of No Return, 1954 :)
Marilyn Monroe photographed by George Barris,1962
I haven’t updated my blog in a little while, and that’s because my laptop went off to be repaired, and didn’t come back until after I flew to Marrakech with my friends. I’m here until Sunday so should resume normal blogging next Monday! Love you all xxxx
Marilyn Monroe photographed by Cecil Beaton, 1956.
You are exactly the type of person I was talking about, as it is clear you don’t know much about Marilyn. For a start Marilyn did not pose for Playboy - it was actually taken by the photographer Tom Kelley in 1949. Marilyn desperately needed money to pay her rent yet she only got $50 for this. The photographers set was reportedly on set too, what’s so “slutty” about that? Besides, if Marilyn was confident enough to show off her body why shouldn’t she? She looked so beautiful in those pictures and in my opinion they are very artistic and tasteful - she wasn’t ashamed of the pictures so neither should we. Playboy acquired and published the pictures without Marilyn getting paid for it or even knowing about it - she had nothing to do with Playboy, so you should really learn your stuff before you send messages like this.
Marilyn had no morals you say?
- She didn’t want to lie to the public about the release of her nude photos and told the truth - how is that showing bad morals? In fact, her being truthful to the public increased her popularity so it was a masterful stroke on her part (she also went against what the studio wanted her to do, showing how independent and strong she was).
- Marilyn had the chance to marry her agent Johnny Hyde many times (who was very wealthy) but she declined each time because she did not love him.
- "She almost never went out with a man who she didn’t want to go out with. She never submitted to sexual advances even if they could help her career. I’ve been told this many times, often by persons who had tried to seduce her, often who were in a position to put her in good parts if she went on a weekend with them to Palm Springs, Tia Juna or Las Vegas. The conclusion of these men is summed in this statement by a producer, “Marilyn never slept with a man who could do her any good.” - Maurice Zolotow
- "I think I had many problems as the next starlet keeping the Hollywood wolves from my door. These wolves just could not understand me. They would tell me ‘but Marilyn, you’re not playing the game the way you should. Be smart. You’ll never get anywhere in this business acting the way you do.’ My answer to them would be ‘the only acting I’ll do is for the camera.’ I was determined, no one was going to use me or my body - even if he could help my career. I’ve never gone out with a man I didn’t want to. No one, not even the studio, could force me to date someone. The one thing I hate more than anything else is being used. I’ve always worked hard for the sake of someday becoming a talented actress. I knew I would make it someday if I only kept at it and worked hard without lowering my principles and pride in myself.”
I would love for you to elaborate on Marilyn’s “bad life choices” cause I can’t think of anything, but maybe you could enlighten me on how much of a terrible person she so clearly was? *Sarcasm*
I could write tons more about how wonderful Marilyn was and how she didn’t have bad morals but honestly I don’t want to waste my time on people who don’t want to learn anything about her. Many girls look up to Marilyn and rightly so as she was such a beautiful, kind hearted, sweet natured angel and quite frankly, I find it disgusting how you think it’s okay to call Marilyn a slut and make such stupid assumptions about her life when you know nothing.
Inspired by [x], this is to show the range of roles that Marilyn Monroe played throughout her career and how she should not be judged on her dumb blonde roles, when her characters were so much more than that.
I disagree with the description of Lorelei from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. She does not desperately want a husband. She desperately wants security, which came through money and husbands in the 1950s. Remember, diamonds are a girl’s best friend because they will pay the rent when those louses go back to their spouses.
Which is also to say, Marilyn never played a dumb blonde.
That caption is over Pola Debevoise in How to Marry a Millionaire. Pola was desperate for a husband. They spend the entire film LOOKING for husbands. Lorelei Lee is the top right. My point is that most of these characters come across as a “dumb blonde”, Marilyn was labelled as such, my point is that the characters were more than that.
GOOD NEWS! They can save my laptop files! It’ll be back with me next week, so consider me on a break and I’ll be back with you all in a weeks time! Xxxxx